Getting Married or Just Married?

If you are looking to get married in Spain or a more exotic location such as Mexico, the Dominican Republic or Cuba, then the respective registry offices and embassies of these countries will require you to produce original documentation (with the Apostille of The Hague) accompanied by an official translation into Spanish.

The documents which you normally need to get translated are:

  1. Birth certificate
  2. Certificate of freedom to marry and/or a sworn declaration before a Notary Public
  3. Divorce Decree Absolute (where appropriate).

If, on the other hand, you were married and divorced in Spain (or a Spanish-speaking country) and wish to remarry in the UK, you will need to provide an official translation of your divorce ruling in English for the Civil Registry Office.

In addition, if you are woman and recently got married abroad, you will probably want to change your name on your bank account, passport, etc. To do this, you will need to provide an English translation of your marriage certificate to show the change in surname.

We can help –